Thursday, February 22, 2024

Council green lights $75.5m upgrade to Hills Shire road

A crucial rural road in The Hills Shire’s north-west is a step closer to receiving a major upgrade after Councillors unanimously voted to commence the detailed design phase for the $75.5 million transformation of Boundary Road late last week.

The project will see the rural thoroughfare, which is located on the border of The Hills Shire and Hawkesbury LGAs, upgraded to a major collector road. As part of the works, Boundary Road will be converted to four lanes between Windsor and Old Pitt Town Roads with a roundabout or traffic signals to be constructed at four key intersections.

The Hills Shire Council will commit to 70% in design costs with Hawkesbury City Council contributing to the remaining 30%, which was decided as part of discussions in the Boundary Road Technical Working Group, chaired by the Department of Planning and Environment’s Planning Delivery Unit (PDU).

Mayor of The Hills Shire, Peter Gangemi said he was looking forward to the completion of the project.

“Boundary Road connects our two great communities, and the roadway will further grow in importance as more families choose to live in the area,” Mayor Gangemi said

“This is an essential upgrade that will service our existing and future population.

“It’s vital that our infrastructure caters for our population growth in Box Hill and Gables and enables safe travel for commuters.”

Mayor of Hawkesbury City Council, Sarah McMahon said reliable roads were one of the top priorities for local residents.

“We are proud to partner with The Hills Shire to deliver this critical upgrade to Boundary Road,” Mayor McMahon said.

“Both councils are committed to getting on with the job of delivering a robust road network for our communities and Boundary Road will serve as a perfect example of how great outcomes are achieved when we work together.

“Boundary Road is an important link for thousands of residents across both local government areas, and its role will only grow in the coming years.”

Detailed design will include plans for:

  • the upgrade of Boundary Road to four lanes between Windsor Road and Old Pitt Town Road;
  • the construction of the Boundary Road bridge over the Killarney Chain of Ponds;
  • traffic signals at the intersection of Boundary Road, Commercial Road and Brocklebank Street;
  • construction of a roundabout at the intersection of Boundary Road, Harkness Road and Brahman Road;
  • traffic signals at the intersection of Boundary Road, Menin Road and George Street; and
  • traffic signals at the intersection of Boundary Road and Old Pitt Town Road.

The total project cost will be partially funded using the combined $9.2 million both councils received under the NSW Government’s Accelerated Infrastructure Fund (AIF).

The AIF funding will be used to bring forward the first stage of construction, which includes new traffic lights at the intersection of Commercial Road, Brocklebank Street and Boundary Road and the Boundary Road bridge over Killarney Chain of Ponds Creek.

“I want to thank Hawkesbury City Council and the NSW Government for their ongoing support in fast-tracking the upgrade of Boundary Road,” Mayor Gangemi said.

Latest Articles