The National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) has opened submissions for Round 8 of the Heavy Vehicle Safety Initiative (HVSI) to fund new projects to deliver a safer heavy vehicle industry.
Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government Minister, Catherine King said the Government’s $4 million commitment to Round 8 of the program would directly help those in the heavy vehicle industry and its supply chains to deliver projects that will improve safety across their day-to-day operations.
“I encourage those working closely with heavy vehicles, whether its local councils, freight and logistics, warehousing or the community, to submit projects they want to see come to life to solve a safety gap or issue,” said Minister King.
Project submissions must address the themes of safer drivers, safer vehicles or safer road use by investing in driver or supply chain skills and training, vehicle safety technologies and improvements, or heavy vehicle educational tools and resources.
Assistant Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Senator, Carol Brown said the program had already funded 132 industry-led safety projects to support Australia’s heavy vehicle, transport and logistics sector.
“Successful projects from previous rounds, such as the Parkes, Forbes and Lachlan Shire Councils’ Load Restraint Education Project and OzHelp’s Health in Gear Owner Driver Health and Wellness Program, have helped drivers feel safe on the work site and on our roads,” she said.
Submissions are now open and close on 5pm AEST Monday 20 February 2023.
For more information on the HVSI program, including the submission process and eligibility, visit www.nhvr.gov.au/hvs.