Three projects that will help connect and reshape Box Hill are a step closer after The Hills Shire Council awarded contracts for their construction this week.
The transformative projects include the construction of Anthony Skarratt Reserve Stage One, upgrading the intersection of Edwards Road and Annangrove Road to a four-way roundabout, and the establishment of a vital culvert crossing on Terry Road.
Mayor, Peter Gangemi said Council had prioritised the construction of infrastructure in growing areas to make life better for residents.
“These three projects are crucial for Box Hill, which is increasing in population as part of the NSW Government’s Northwest Priority Growth Area,” Mayor Gangemi said.
“Council is pleased to deliver the upcoming roundabout at Annangrove Road and Edwards Road, which will improve accessibility and safety for local road users.
“The new community centre at Anthony Skarratt Reserve will be a focal meeting point for local residents, as well as the home of Box Hill Nelson Progress Association.
“The culvert crossing on Terry Road will reduce the possibility of flash flooding in this locality, improving road access for local residents in heavy rains.
“I’m proud that Council is prioritising infrastructure projects for the families that are moving into the area and I’m looking forward to seeing these projects get underway.”
President of the Box Hill Nelson Progress Association, Vicki Giannoulis expressed her excitement to see the tender for stage one of the construction of Anthony Skarratt Reserve awarded, which once completed, will include a new community centre that will become the home of the Association.
“It will be amazing to see this site transition into a brand-new facility that will service not only our Association but also the current and future residents of Box Hill and more widely, The Hills Shire,” Ms Giannoulis said.
Stage one of the construction of Anthony Skarratt Reserve, which will be located on Nelson Road, Box Hill will include:
- Single-storey community centre including a satellite library, activity rooms and function room with a permanent space for Box Hill Nelson Progress Association;
- Playgroup space with outdoor play area;
- Car park with 187 spaces including two EV charging stations;
- Roundabout at the intersection of Nelson Road and Box Road;
- Pavement widening on Nelson Road including a new bus bay;
- Adjustments to service utilities and construction of traffic management and controls;
- Earthworks and landscaping.
Once all stages of construction have been completed, Anthony Skarratt Reserve will also include four football fields, two baseball fields, six multi-purpose courts, cricket practice nets, a playground and three car parks. Two synthetic cricket pitches, an outdoor gym and a baseball batting practice tunnel were also added to the Master Plan following community consultation in May 2021.
The intersection upgrade of Edwards Road and Annangrove Road will include:
- Upgrading the intersection to a four-way roundabout;
- Extensive relocation of service utilities (telecommunications, power, water, wastewater, gas);
- A central concrete roundabout, median and blister islands;
- Pavement widening, draining and kerb and gutter work.
The construction of the Terry Road culvert crossing will occur in front of Brindle Parkway Reserve which is currently under construction and will include:
- Relocation of service utilities;
- Installation of concrete box culverts; and
- Road construction work.
The project will upgrade the stormwater infrastructure on Terry Road as this section of road is currently subject to frequent closure due to flooding. The project requires full road closure and the implementation of a detour during critical stages of construction.
Works are expected to commence on these projects in late 2023.