Saturday, April 13, 2024

Melburnians dine out on rebate scheme

City of Melbourne Council’s $5 million Midweek Melbourne Money dining scheme will end at midnight on Tuesday, with Victorians scraping the plate clean in less than three weeks.

More than 114,000 claims have been made since the program began on 15 November. Approved claims have topped $3.8 million, meaning patrons have spent more than $12 million in Melbourne restaurants, cafes and bars, Council said in a statement.

A whopping 92% of diners said the scheme – which offers a 30% rebate on midweek meals – was one of their main reasons for spending time in the city and 40% said they also went shopping during their visit.

Midweek Melbourne Money is being offered through the $200 million Melbourne City Revitalisation Fund – a joint partnership between the City of Melbourne and the Victorian Government. 

“In just shy of three weeks, we’ve seen Victorians pump $12 million into the local economy through Midweek Melbourne Money – and that’s not even counting the flow-on effect to retail and entertainment,” Lord Mayor, Sally Capp said.  

“There are currently more pedestrians in the city than at any time in the past year, which highlights the huge success of this scheme in generating enormous momentum in the city.  

“There are just a couple of days left to take advantage of the program, so make a booking at one of our city’s great bars, restaurants or cafes for Monday or Tuesday. 

“Let’s keep the momentum going as the scheme draws to a close – there are plenty of reasons to celebrate in marvelous Melbourne as we move into the silly season.” 

City Activation Portfolio Lead, Councillor Roshena Campbell said dining out had been one of the things Victorians have missed most over the past two years of COVID-19 lockdowns.

“Melbourne Money has provided a clear incentive to visit city restaurants,” Cr Campbell said. 

“An incredible 92% of diners told us Melbourne Money was one of their main reasons for visiting the city.” 

Latest Articles