Phase one of the Gold Coast’s $80 million Pimpama Sports Hub is now complete and open to the public.
Located halfway between Surfers Paradise and Brisbane City, the Hub’s facilities include a clubhouse, 12 courts spanning almost one hectare, six court shade structures, a new community park and events space catering for 3,000 patrons.
Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate said the Pimpama Netball Centre would be a huge drawcard for young players in the northern suburbs, in the lead up to the 2021 netball season.
“These first-class facilities are capable of hosting both local and regional level events and will cater for future demand in our growing northern corridor,’’ he said.
“Once complete, we expect around 750,000 visitors annually. The complex will employ 42 full-time employees when fully operational at the end of this year.’’
The project, more than halfway into its completion timeline, is generating 409 jobs during construction.
“We’re committed to keeping the coast moving with much-needed community infrastructure. Importantly, we are also undertaking key road and transport improvements to support the centre,” said Deputy Mayor Donna Gates.
Netball Queensland has leased the clubhouse and is coordinating events, sign-on days and training with nearby netball clubs.
Phase two of the project has started and is on track for a late-2021 opening.
Phase One – complete:
• Clubhouse includes a kiosk, administration area, storage, amenities for public and club use, first aid room and additional under building storage
• 12 netball courts that can be fully lit for night games and equipped with audio for announcements
• Six court shade structures
• 275 solar panels have been installed on the clubhouse and court shade structures, generating 12 per cent of the sporting hub’s total power
• Outdoor events space with stage area for crowds up to 3,000
• Community park with shaded playground and picnic facilities
• One kilometre walking, running and cycling trail with distance markers.
Phase Two – on schedule for a late 2021 opening:
• Aquatic centre with five pools, including a 50-metre Olympic standard pool and fitness centre
• Community centre with multi-purpose hall, meeting and function rooms
• Tennis centre with eight competition standard courts.
For information visit: cityofgoldcoast.com.au/pimpamasportshub