Grants are now available for artificial intelligence (AI) projects that will benefit regional industries, businesses and communities, the Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources announced today.
The Catalysing the AI Opportunity in Our Regions program aims to:
- show how AI can boost regional capabilities;
- grow trust in AI technology;
- create a pathway for high-skilled jobs in regional Australia.
It will provide competitive grant funding over three rounds. Round one will offer grants between $250,000 and $500,000.
The program will support AI projects that offer solutions to challenges in regional areas. This includes projects that:
- develop, implement and demonstrate novel or innovative AI solutions;
- provide opportunities for regional businesses to test and experiment with AI.
The program is part of the $124.1 million investment under the AI Action Plan. The plan sets out a vision for Australia to become a global leader in developing and adopting trusted, secure and responsible AI.
Applications for round one close 21 February 2022. Applicants must submit a joint application with at least one partner organisation located in a regional area.