Sydney’s Blue Mountains City Council has released its Draft Strategic Plan for BMCC Cemeteries.
Council manages nine cemeteries which are all located on a Crown reserve for Cemetery across a range of rural, bushland and urban settings.
“The purpose of this plan is to establish a strategic direction to guide the provision, management, operations and continued improvement of Council’s cemeteries over the next 40-plus years,” Blue Mountains Mayor, Mark Greenhill said.
The Strategic Plan includes an overall plan for provision of interment services, including:
- Forecasting projected needs for interment space over 40+ years;
- An assessment of the opportunities and constraints of existing cemeteries, particularly those relating to heritage-listed cemeteries and significant graves;
- An assessment of capacity of existing cemeteries;
- Options for management of cemeteries including those closed to burials;
- Implementation and resourcing plans to achieve and monitor success in achieving the recommendations.
The plan is open for public submissions until July 9.