Saturday, May 25, 2024

$51.7m Barton Park upgrade opened

Bayside Council has officially opened Barton Park following a $51.7 million upgrade which saw the sports field transformed into a state-of-the art recreational facility.

Located in Banksia, Barton Park is the Council’s largest community sporting and recreational hub.

The upgrade includes new natural turf sporting fields, a 450-seat spectator grandstand, two multi-use courts suitable for basketball, futsal and handball, four tennis courts, new amenities, improved road access and parking.

The Council also worked with ecologists and environmentalists to ensure the ongoing safety and protection of the endangered Green and Golden Bell frogs which live in the area.

The project has been co-funded with Council providing 65% of the funding and the NSW Government funding the remaining 35%.

The NSW Government funding has been provided through three programs including:

•    NSW Government Accelerated Infrastructure Fund Round 3 – $10 million 
•    NSW Government Multi-Sport Community Facility Fund – $5 million
•    NSW Government Public Spaces Legacy Program – $3 million

“Council’s vision has always been to ensure Barton Park remains a place for everyone to enjoy,” said Mayor, Bill Saravinovski.

“This incredible project has repurposed a former sporting facility into a community space and recreational hub suitable for all ages and levels of activity. 

“From morning walks, cycling and organised sport, to bird watching and space for families to enjoy quality time together outdoors.”

NSW Minister for Planning and Public Spaces, Paul Scully said the NSW Government was pleased to commit $18 million to upgrade the open space and recreational precinct.

“Barton Park’s transformation into a high-quality sporting hub will secure it as a centrepiece for the community for generations to come,” he said.

“Investment in quality open spaces is one of the most important ways to achieve thriving communities, and it’s exciting to see this upgrade ready for use.”

NSW Minister for Sport, Steve Kamper said the Barton Park upgrade was a significant investment in the health of the local community.

“The various fields and facilities have been designed to encourage sporting participation and keep the community active and connected,” the Minister said.

Latest Articles