Friday, February 23, 2024

Wentworth Showgrounds officially opened by NSW Deputy Premier

The Wentworth Showgrounds Community Pavilion has been officially opened by Deputy Premier, Paul Toole, more than two years after it was built.

The new building, which was completed in December 2020, replaces the old Barrett Pavilion which served the community for 114 years.

“On behalf of all Wentworth Showground users, we are really thankful for the funding we have received. This building will be used by all groups and the broader public. It is a great asset not only to the Wentworth Show Society but the whole community,” said Wentworth Shire Mayor, Tim Elstone.

The pavilion will be used by the Wentworth Show Society, several community groups and the broader public.

Features of the new pavilion include ample meeting and display space, a large kitchen, disabled toilets and plenty of outdoor cover in the event of rain.

“In 2016, a sub-committee of the Wentworth Show Society was formed and given the task of performing all the groundwork towards the fantastic building we are opening today. We thank those people for all their determination, diligence and hard work and look forward to the community enjoying the fruits of their labour for decades to come,” Mayor Elstone said.

The Pavilion was used for the first time at last year’s Wentworth Show.

“The Pavilion looked and worked incredibly well,” said Wentworth Show Society President, Sholto Douglas.

Funding for the project came from various sources including a $450,000 grant from the NSW Government’s Stronger Country Communities Fund, Wentworth Show Society’s own funds, Wentworth Shire Council, Wentworth and District Community Bank – Bendigo Bank, RZ Resources (formerly Relentless Resources) and the Dawes family, bringing the total funds to $1.1 million for the project.

There were also donations from the local community to assist with the fit out of the building.

Latest Articles