Green Industries South Australia (GISA) has released its Council Modernisation Grants Program to promote innovation for improved waste management and recycling services.
The Program aims to encourage local government to improve performance in waste management and resource recovery through investment in technological and other innovation.
Through modernisation, South Australian councils can expect to reduce service costs, improve operational/productivity performance, increase customer satisfaction and engagement and enhance economic development through new business activity and employment growth.
The funding is available to all South Australian councils and subsidiaries that manage waste and recycling services (including organics) for residential and small business ratepayers. This includes: waste and recyclables collected through kerbside collected bins; hard waste, waste and recyclables collected at drop-off facilities, public place recycling (which is increasingly important as we transition to compostable takeaway products) and council-operated commercial services.
Priority areas for modernisation that are eligible for funding under this program include but are not limited to:
- Using technology to innovate – software applications and infrastructure
- Pilot projects to increase food waste diversion through multi-unit dwellings
- Market research to assess ratepayer attitudes to a range of service delivery matters
- Cost benefit analysis – standardisation of bin systems
- Regional waste management plans updated to take into account South Australia’s Waste and Resource Recovery Plan
- Solutions for problematic wastes
- Other projects which improve source separation, kerbside performance and public place recycling, particularly with regard to the quality and volume of organic and co-mingled materials (or reduce residual waste yields).
Guidelines and the on-line application form are available on the GISA website: https://www.greenindustries.sa.gov.au/funding/council-modernisation-grants
Please contact Mr Justin Lang (Manager Local Government and Infrastructure, GISA) on 0419 948 931 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must be lodged with GISA no later than 5pm on Friday, 26 February 2021. No late applications will be accepted.