Gladstone Regional Council is calling for nominations from residents aged 15 to 24 who are willing to step up for their community and be part of the 2023 Gladstone Region Youth Council.
The youth council acts as a formal advisory committee to Council and use their voice to raise matters, promote initiatives and activities that are important to young people in the region.
Gladstone Regional Mayor, Matt Burnett said those selected will develop skills, exchange ideas and learn about local government.
“Members are selected based on their diverse strengths, perspectives, experiences and willingness to bring about positive change in our community,” Mayor Burnett said.
“They will serve an initial one-year term and can seek re-appointment for a subsequent term, with meetings to begin from February 2023. Whether you’re still in school, attending university, working or undertaking an apprenticeship, we would love to hear your voice.”
Mayor Burnett said being on the Gladstone Region Youth Council was the perfect opportunity for young people to provide input into the governance of the region.
“Youth Council members provide a young person’s perspective to Council in a structured and formal way to assist with the future planning of the region, table issues and community concerns at meetings and assist with designing Festival of Summer and Youth Week activities.”
“Members are also involved in events and initiatives such as Clean Up Australia Day, Mayor’s Youth Breakfast, Youth Week, National Volunteers Week, Seniors Week, Avenue to Awareness and more,” he said.
- Applicants must be aged 15-24 years old, including those that are turning 15 within the first six months of the Youth Council term;
- Applicants must live in the Gladstone Region;
- Applications must be completed by the person applying for the Youth Council Position;
- Applicants can choose to submit the written application in full or can include a video application containing their response to the questions that display a video icon;
- Applications must include a personal reference (written or video files are welcome);
- Applicants living in remote areas are encouraged to apply as options to support participation in meetings and other activities are available.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 4976 6300.
Nominations are open until Sunday, 4 December, with a nomination form available to download from Council’s website at www.gladstone.qld.gov.au/youth-council.