Monday, May 23, 2022

New scaffolding safety standard released

Worksites across NSW will be safer following the launch of a new Scaffolding Industry Safety Standard, which provides a clear guide to prevent scaffolding-related injuries and deaths.

The Safety Standard details practical management tools to principal contractors, scaffolders, engineers, and other parties involved in scaffolding work, ensuring best practice for the scaffolding industry.

NSW Minister for Fair Trading, Eleni Petinos said the new standard was a critical step to ensuring safety in the workplace.

“The Scaffolding Industry Safety Standard is an essential and comprehensive resource that provides practical guidance for those undertaking scaffolding work,” Ms Petinos said.

“The Safety Standard complements the SafeWork NSW ‘Speak Up, Save Lives’ app, which allows for the anonymous reporting of workplace health and safety risks.”

“Following the tragic death of Christopher Cassaniti just over three years ago, the NSW Government is seeking to ensure such a tragic incident never occurs again.”

On 1 April 2019, a steel modular scaffold collapsed at a construction site in Sydney, tragically crushing two workers. Christopher Cassaniti was fatally injured just a day after his 18th birthday while Kahled Wehbe suffered permanent life-changing injuries.

View the new Scaffolding Industry Safety Standard

Attorney-General and Minister for Industrial Relations, Michaelia Cash today announced a nine-month sanction against NSW company, Landmark Roofing Pty Ltd, after the company was found to have failed to comply with WHS laws, leading to the tragic death of an apprentice roof plumber in 2018.

The sanction means the company will be unable to tender for Commonwealth Government funded work for the duration of the sanction, which will run from 2 May 2022 to 1 February 2023.

The first-year apprentice roof plumber and his supervisor were on the roof of a building in Mayfield replacing a section of damaged polycarbonate skylight when the young worker fell around six metres through the skylight. He sustained serious injuries, from which he later died in hospital.

Both the apprentice and his supervisor were wearing safety harnesses, however, neither of the harnesses were connected to an anchor point.

Latest Articles