Monday, May 27, 2024

Hobart ferry service sails into future

The Tasmanian Government is pushing ahead with its delivery of an enhanced public transport options for commuters, committing to a further $19 million over four years to lock in a permanent ferry service between Bellerive and Hobart.

Minister for Infrastructure and Transport, Michael Ferguson says the service, which has ferried more than 110,000 passengers in the past year, had been an outstanding success.

“Such is the success of the service, we have committed a further $19 million over four years to lock it in permanently and improve facilities at Bellerive,” he said.

“Now, the Liberal Government is pleased to announce our decision to introduce a Saturday service to further boost travelling options for Tasmanians.

“We know the temporary Saturday ferry last summer proved popular, and people are keen to continue to use such a service to reach attractions such as markets, cafes and attractions on both sides of the Derwent.”

The Minister said the Government looked forward to working closely with the Federal Government on its election promise of $20 million for additional ferry terminals.

“We’ve already started working closely with the Greater Hobart councils to examine the viability of extending services to additional locations on the river.”

“This engagement centres on a framework to determine the level of commuter demand for any proposed route and the level of co-investment from local councils in appropriate wharf and other landside infrastructure.

“The framework outlines the standards that partnership proposal by councils will need to meet, and ensures that all proposals are assessed equally.”

The Derwent River ferry service is an initiative under the Hobart Transport Vision being delivered through the $1.6 billion Hobart City Deal between the Australian and Tasmanian Governments and the Hobart, Clarence, Glenorchy and Kingborough Councils.

Latest Articles