Geelong Design Week 2023 is returning next month, with the event set to celebrate and showcase design excellence, innovation and creativity across the Greater Geelong region.
The program features more than 40 exhibitions, talks, film premieres, and unique experiences that will surprise and delight audiences, said Greater Geelong Mayor, Trent Sullivan.
“The program has come together through the ideas, partnerships, collaborations and creative minds of designers, makers, the City, businesses, community groups and organisations,” the Mayor said.
“We are back with an exciting program of events that reflects the region’s clever ideas, creativity and strong desire to create a better future through design.
“This is a chance for the community to support local designers, learn more about our environment, discover unique cultural insights and see the future of education, technology, inventions and innovations.”
Last year’s event was attended by 6,343 people mostly from Geelong, with 8% coming from Melbourne and 6.3% from regional Victoria.
This year’s event, to be held from 19 to 29 October, brings together local Geelong designers, industry leaders, and design enthusiasts from across Victoria.
“This year’s diverse program not only highlights Geelong’s notable design heritage, ingrained in the fabric of our daily lives, but also shines a spotlight on our local design talent and the best of Geelong as a UNESCO City of Design,” said Mayor Sullivan.
Highlights from this year’s event program include:
- Tim Ross ‘Designing a Legacy’ live show
- Dell Eco Reef Snorkelling
- ‘Earth from above’ pop up 360° film
- Local designer showcasefeaturing Kip&Co, Sundown Lighting, Ross Thompson & Two Lines Studio
- Greenhouse Interiors small business design challenges panel
- Customs House architects hub
- ‘The Housing Question’ exhibition and talk
- House of Fast Fashun installation
- Perpetual Pigments exhibition
- Barwon Water design + place excursion
- Creative City: Kids & family workshop
- Urban design walk
- Interior & architecture renovation workshop
- DIY or Die Fashun Show & Cocktail party
- ‘Modern Melbourne’ regional film premiere
- First People’s culture in design
- Human-centred design by Deakin design students
- Jewellery design exhibition
- Design Futures Lab bio material installation
“The quality of this year’s program is outstanding and capture the region’s Clever and Creative aspirations,” said Deputy Mayor, Anthony Aitken.
“The diverse range of events on offer showcase just how creative and talented Greater Geelong is.
“Geelong Design Week will make space to share clever ideas, explore design thinking, stimulate creativity through talks, tours, workshops and exhibitions and allow community members to peek inside the minds of local designers,” he said.
Explore the Geelong Design Week program on the Geelong Design Week website.