Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Disaster assistance for Coffs Harbour

Disaster assistance is now available in the local government area of Coffs Harbour following severe storms and flooding on Wednesday.

Assistance is being provided through the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA).

Minister for Emergency Management and National Recovery and Resilience, Bridget McKenzie said the severe storm caused significant widespread damage across the Coffs Harbour region.

“The heavy rainfall and giant hail generated by the storm caused localised flooding and damage to critical infrastructure and residential properties,” Senator McKenzie said.

“A range of practical assistance measures are now available through DRFA to help families, individuals, primary producers, small businesses and charities to get back on their feet and to support Coffs Harbour City Council to repair and restore important public assets.” 

NSW Minister for Police and Emergency Services, David Elliott said the event had required a significant response from the NSW State Emergency Services, who were supported by a range of other agencies and organisations.

“The assistance being announced today will help cover the costs associated with the operational response and repairing damaged essential public assets,” Minister Elliott said.

“Additionally, individuals will receive support to get back on their feet, including grants to replace essential household contents or repair structural damage to homes.”

Assistance available under the DRFA may include:

  • Help for eligible people whose homes or belongings have been damaged (eligibility criteria apply)
  • Support for affected local councils to help with the costs of cleaning up and restoring damaged essential public assets
  • Concessional interest rate loans for small businesses, primary producers and non-profit organisations
  • Freight subsidies for primary producers, and
  • Grants to eligible non-profit organisations.

For information on personal hardship and distress assistance, contact Service NSW on 13 77 88.

To apply for a concessional loan or grant, contact the NSW Rural Assistance Authority on 1800 678 593 or visit NSW Rural Assistance Authority.

Latest Articles