Minister for Heritage, James Griffin, has announced $2.1 million in state government funding for 86 NSW councils.
Mr Griffin said the councils would receive funding through the Local Government Heritage Grant category, which is part of a larger $5 million NSW Heritage Grants program.
“These grants are all about helping local councils identify, protect and celebrate the meaningful stories and places that enrich their communities,” Mr Griffin said.
“Each of the 86 successful councils are being given $25,000 to deliver projects in their area, whether it be for running a heritage grants program, funding a heritage advisor, promoting heritage in their area, or training staff and the community.
“This is the 44th year of the NSW Heritage Grants program, which have helped deliver hundreds of fantastic heritage renewal projects around the State.”
Minister for Local Government, Wendy Tuckerman said the grants will give councils an opportunity to improve management of existing heritage sites, identify new heritage projects or facilitate the commemoration of local historical events.
“The Liberal and National Government is continuing to partner with councils to manage local heritage in a targeted way,” Mrs Tuckerman said.
“It’s fantastic to see so many councils receive grant funding from the Government, ensuring local heritage sites are preserved for future generations.”
The $5 million 2023-2025 NSW Heritage Grants program has six categories, including:
- The inaugural Activating State Heritage Grant, where one successful applicant was awarded $1 million in matched funding;
- Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Grants, where applicants can apply for up to $80,000;
- Caring for State Heritage Grants where applicants can apply for up to $150,000Community Heritage Grants where applicants can apply for up to $50,000;
- Emergency Works Grants to help address emergency situations at state significant sites;
- Local Government Heritage Grants program designed for NSW local councils.
For more information visit www.environment.nsw.gov.au/topics/heritage/heritage-grants.